Tuesday 7 June 2011

Documentary: Food Inc

tt1286537.jpg
So yesterday, after a hard day's cleaning my windows and cleaning my yard, I sat down on my couch with my supper in hand to watch a movie. My movie of choice was Food Inc. My father-in-law had actually recommended it to me. The film was released on 2008 and discusses the current processing and production of raw foods in America. They cover beef, pork, chickens, grain, Monsanto, McDonalds, E. coli, etc. Within 10 minutes of watching the movie, I had already changed my views of my food. I was slightly aware of how possibly dangerous the meat packing industry was, trying very hard to keep my eyes closed and myself dumb to the facts, but the raw facts and information playing out before my laptop screen literally opened my eyes. I don't want to spoil this movie by going in depth into all the horrifying facts and details of it all because I want other people to see and learn. I know now that I am going to get my meat from a local farm, already having chosen the farm. McDonalds farms (www.mcdonaldfarm.ca) is located in  Cartwright, Manitoba. This is their description of who they are and what they do

McDonald Farm is your source for safe, healthy, and nutritious grass-fed beef, pork, and lamb raised in a natural, low stress environment.
When you choose to eat McDonald Farm grass-fed beef, pork and lamb, you are improving animal welfare, allowing a farm family to continue to make a living from the land, and giving your family the healthiest possible food.  It's a win-win situation.
I am hoping that by the end of the summer that I may be able to purchase an order of a half cow, in which I get hamburger (approx 60 lbs in 1 lb packages), around 35 lbs of sirloin tip roasts and steaks, rump roasts, and round roasts and steaks, 20 lbs of chuck roasts and steaks, 15 lbs of ribeye, 10 lbs of sirloin steak, 15 lbs of t-bone steak, 15 lbs of stew beef, 6 lbs of smokies, and some soup bones. I'm already growing my garden as a way to exert control over my vegetables. I'm planning on collecting the seeds from my best this summer to save for next years garden, which will give me freedom from the seed industry. 
Anyways, the point is, watch this movie! It is an eye-opener and is so informative. 

Happy Homesteading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment