Friday 3 February 2012

Home Cleaner Hero


True story! I had just spent the past couple weeks studying for exams and finishing research papers and finally had time to clean the house! My husband does not clean, so if I’m too busy, it goes undone. I go to clean the tub and oh my word is it gross. It had a beautiful layer of soapscum-like sticky/tacky gunk on it. As ‘green’ as I am, I am also frugal. I still had some soapscum remover, so I used it to clean the tub. After a 10 minute soak-in, 10 minutes of scrubbing with a toilet scrub brush, I was getting barely anywhere. I was fed up! I went to the kitchen and got my big bottle of white vinegar and big box of baking soda. I sprinkled the baking soda into the tub and then poured a glug of vinegar. A couple of good scrubs, and the gunk was gone. That’s right. Simple old baking soda and vinegar beat commercial soapscum remover. I have now thrown out all my soapscum remover products from my house.

But, baking soda and vinegar doesn’t stop there. Got a smell in your slow cooker from cooking chili? Baking soda and vinegar! Need to clean grease off your teapot? Baking soda and vinegar! I also use it once or twice a month as a drain cleaner. Sprinkle the baking soda into the drain, and add a glug of vinegar. Let it sit for 10 minutes and then add hot water to push it through. I’m sure I will find more uses for baking soda and vinegar, but seriously, I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment